DeKalb County Car Accident Lawyers
Focused on Your Best Interests
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, in 2017, there were 311,679 motor vehicle collisions. Of those, 66,889 resulted in injuries, and 998 resulted in death. Accidents in DeKalb County accounted for 1,566 of the state’s total. Harm sustained in a crash can have lasting impacts on a person’s life, causing them to suffer things such as physical pain, mental anguish, lost wages, and medical expenses. If the accident was caused by another person’s negligence or reckless actions, they could be held financially liable for damages.
To discuss the details of your car accident in Illinois, call us at (800) 761-0993 for a free consultation.
What are the Steps to Take After a Car Accident?
When you are involved in a car accident, you may be experiencing many emotions such as anxiety, fear and shock. Our DeKalb County accident attorneys understand that it is completely natural to feel overwhelmed after being involved in an Illinois car accident. It is important to follow specific steps after an accident to ensure the safety of you and your loved ones.
Following are five steps to take after an accident in Dekalb County:
- Step One- Get to safety as soon as possible. Do not get out in the middle of the road after an accident, but pull over to the side of the road where you and your loved ones will be safe from oncoming vehicles.
- Step Two- Contact the proper authorities once you have assessed the situation. Filing a police report or calling an ambulance may be necessary if you or anyone else involved in the accident has sustained any injuries.
- Step Three- Do not admit fault or apologize for anything. Even if you think that you are the one at fault, it is important to ensure that you do not admit to something that you are not liable for.
- Step Four- Document the accident and gather witness statements. Make sure that you get the contact information of the other drivers involved in the accident, as well as any witnesses who were present. It is also important to take pictures of any vehicle or property damage caused as a result of the accident.
- Step Five- File an insurance claim with your insurance company and hire an injury attorney to help you with negotiating fair financial compensation.
If you have been injured and believe that your accident was due to negligence, contact our experienced attorneys to discuss your specific case details.
What Can I Seek Compensation for After an Accident?
The type of damages you can claim following your car accident depends on the specifics of your situation. It’s best to have a skilled DeKalb County attorney on your side to discuss and evaluate your case. Our team will review things such as medical bills, receipts, pay stubs, and the severity of your injuries to determine a just amount to demand from the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
Generally, after a traffic collision, there are two kinds of damages that can be recovered:
- Economic: These are things that have a calculable value and can include, but are not limited to, lost wages, medical care, and physical therapy.
- Non-economic: These losses are harder to calculate, as they can include, but are not limited to, pain/suffering, mental anguish, and loss of companionship.
Seeking fair compensation for harm you suffered in an accident requires having a doctor conduct a thorough assessment and diagnosis of your injuries. That is why it is important to obtain medical care soon after the collision, even if you don’t think you were injured.
Common accident-related injuries include:
- Back injuries
- Brain injuries
- Broken and/or fractured bones
- Head injuries
- Loss of limbs
- Spinal cord injuries
How Long Will My Car Accident Case Take?
All accident cases are different, and the amount of time it takes to resolve depends on your circumstances.
Various factors could affect the length of your claim, including:
- Establishing liability: This means you must present evidence that proves the other driver was at fault. The process usually involves thoroughly investigating the scene, speaking with witnesses, and examining photos and reports of the accident.
- Obtaining medical care: The severity of your injuries and type of treatment you need will also impact how long your case takes. When making a demand for compensation, you must be sure to include all accident-related medical expenses, which requires knowing the course of care needed.
- Negotiating a settlement: After you have established liability and made a demand, you typically must enter into negotiations with the at-fault party’s insurance company. Because you are trying to get the compensation you deserve for damages and the insurance company is seeking to minimize the amount they have to pay out, this could be a lengthy back-and-forth process.
- Pursuing a lawsuit: If you and the insurance company are unable to agree upon a settlement amount, you might take your case to court. A trial can increase the length of time it takes to resolve the matter.
Again, because your situation is unique, it’s best to discuss the details with a lawyer to understand the claims process. When you hire our DeKalb County attorneys, we will provide personalized attention and maintain open communication, giving you updates on your case.
Looking for additional tips regarding car crash lawsuits? Check out some of our latest blog posts:
- The Importance of Getting Help Early
- Check Your Underinsured Motorist Coverage
- A Reminder to Review Your Insurance Coverage
Still have questions? Our car accident lawyers are here to help! Call our firm today to discuss your accident in a consultation.
Reach Out to Turner & Sackett Law Offices Today!
If you or a loved one was injured in a car accident, reach out to our experienced team today for the legal help you need to seek compensation. When you hire our attorneys at Turner & Sackett Law Offices, we will provide one-on-one representation to fully understand your circumstances and needs and build a unique strategy for your specific situation. Initiating a car accident claim can be a complicated process, filled with various rules and deadlines you must adhere to. We understand the challenges you might encounter when trying to handle the matter alone, which is why we are dedicated to providing skilled guidance from the beginning of your case to its conclusion.
Timely filing a claim is critical for seeking compensation. There is a set deadline for pursuing these types of matters, and if you miss it, your case could be dismissed. When focusing on your health and well-being after a collision, it can be difficult to ensure you observe all rules and laws concerning personal injury matters. That is why we will attend to the details of your case so you can concentrate on your recuperation.
For compassionate and dedicated legal representation, call us at (800) 761-0993 or contact us online.
“Grateful for their expertise and communication!”
“Alice was so dedicated to winning the case!”
“I highly recommend Rick Turner.”